Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kimber's First Christmas

Major delay in blogging due to the fact that the Christmas holidays are pretty much the ONLY time all year that Clayton and I are both off and have a nice long break.  It's a little glimpse of normalcy squeezed in between football and baseball season.  (Our lives are not defined by months, nor weeks, but seasons)  ANYWAY, we took time to relax and of course play with our favorite new toy, baby Kimber.  :))))



Santa brought Kimber a jumper thingie/activity center for Christmas this year, and she's enjoying it immensely!




We celebrated by attending 4 and hosting 1 of the 5 Christmas celebrations.  We really Christmas it up every year. 

The highlight, kind of, was Kimber's baby dedication at church on Christmas morning.  The Stewart family was dressed to the nines in burgundy (to match Kimber's perfect new Christmas dress).  Kimber was decked out in her dress, ivory lace tights, ivory patent shoes, and of course a "she-bang" bow to celebrate the season.  I don't have the pictures yet, so I'm trying to give you a visual.  When it was time for baby dedication, we went up to the front of the church with 2 other famililes.  Kimber was a real charmer.  I held her facing the audience so everyone could fully enjoy her cuteness, and she did not disappoint.  She looked around and flaunted those baby blues charmingly and everyone ooohed and ahhed.  Then, things took a small turn.  Just as the preacher was discussing the importance of dedicating baby and family to God's will and praying for all the babies and families, Kimber decided the time was right for one of the biggest fits I've ever seen her throw in her tiny 4 months of life.  She arched her back and threw herself forward, forcing me to lurch forward.  So, I put her up on my shoulder in an attempt to pacify her, but she wasn't having it.  I handed her pacifier to Clayton so that he could try to plug the hole from his angle, but she wouldn't take it.  It was at that point, completely mortified, that I had no clue what to do.  So, I frantically locked eyes with Clayton, both of us completely void of any idea  about how to fix the situation.  So, we waited until the prayer was over and I, assuming Kimber had wet her diaper (she cries as soon as she wets), grabbed the diaper bag and headed straight out the back door.  Once I got into the foyer, by this point wet with sweat myself from the physical struggle of detaining my little diva, I realized poor Kimber's cheeks were flushed too.  I don't know if it was from crying, but I assumed poor baby must've been hot.  Her dress did have a little petticoat underneath (hey, I told you we were dressed to the nines).  So, I stripped off her shoes and tights, changed her diaper, and re-dressed her...sans tights and shoes.  I could never get her calmed down enough to re-enter the service, especially since all 2 rows, yes that many, of our family were sitting close to the front.  So, I spent the entire Christmas service trying to rationalize with my precious 4 month old, and encouraging Christmas service latecomers in the lobby to go ahead and enter the service.  I think maybe Kimber was just uncomfortable in all her clothes, as was I, so I can't blame her.  New moms spend a LOT of time in sweats, so the dress, velvet jacket, and heeled boots kind of made me want to cry too.  In any case, it was somewhat a disaster.  Instead of the pictures containing all of our family with a smiling, perfectly dressed Kimber, they were all our family with sweaty, stressed mom and a precious sleeping baby with no tights, no shoes, no bow, and a pacifier in her mouth.  Kimber 1 Mommy 0.

All events aside, this year was much sweeter knowing what an awesome gift God blessed us with this year.  It was so much fun, and I can only imagine how much more fun Christmas will be each year as Kimber grows up.  :))  When I have pictures of baby dedication, I'll put them in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment